Friday, May 31, 2013

You Are Uniquely Made for Ministry

Kat and I are attending the Tri-Con Conference of the Free-Methodist Church which is a conference for three different districts of the country. 

I am attending the break-out sessions on Urban Ministry and I want to share a few things that we talked about.

In order to do ministry inner-city, or any other area really, one must be Called and have a Passion for that area.


The speaker shared that often urban areas have more needs and are less connected. Kat and I moved from the Kansas City area a year ago and I would agree with that statement completely. Now that we are in the Ozarks I would have to say there are areas in rural areas that are just as needy and unconnected as in the city.
Another thing we covered was the Great Commission sends us into all areas and that includes the inner-city and the Great Commandment tells us to go in love.

Whatever or wherever God is calling you always keep in mind you are uniquely fashioned to do what God has called you to do and for the place He has called you to.

In the discussion part of the session we came up with the following:
1. We need to get out of our comfort zone and go where the people in need are.
2. We need to use our uniqueness to serve others.
3. We need to share our lives with others and build a relationship with them before we share the gospel with them.
4. People need to hear of the Hope that is found in Jesus.
5. Before we begin we need to pray, wait for God to speak and once He speaks not wait any longer to take action.
6. Expect God to work through us.

In thinking about number 5 it has been my experience that sometimes we lay our plans before God and then wait but we end up waiting and waiting and waiting. We wait for God to do what we should be doing and so we end up waiting as our prayer is being answered in the life of someone else because they prayed, waited and when they felt God's movement they took action. They took action even though not all of the plan was in place or the funding was not there.

Considering number 6 God cannot work through us without us taking some form of action. 

Look at the two photos above. I took the first one about five minutes after I took the lower one. I could have missed the colors of the second photo if I had not waited for the sun to move a little lower in the sky. After taking the photo I have posted first I turned and walked up the hill anticipating even more and this is the shot I as rewarded with. If I had not planned, waited and moved I would have only gotten the shot I placed in the middle.
I encourage you to search your heart looking for the dream that God has placed there and then use the passion it builds in you to go out and serve others in the way only you are uniquely fitted for.

No comments:

Post a Comment